Serving Anson, Cabarrus, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Rowan, Stanly, and Union Counties in North Carolina

Support Services

The office of Community and Economic Development works together with residents and the local Governing Unit to shape municipal plans, allocate resources, resolve conflicts and improve neighborhoods through these programs and services. Please contact us to find out more about what we can do to support your employees, enforce your policies, and help you to ensure compliance with federal and state regulations.

General Support

Through our years of experience providing community development solutions to member governments in the Centralina region, we have access to expertise that might not be available locally. Additionally, bringing in a nonpartisan consultant is often desirable when you are seeking a neutral perspective in planning your projects. Contact us about any of your support service needs, including:

  • Training for your staff and advisory boards
  • Substitute or supplemental staffing when you have employee vacancies or absences
  • Co-ordination with other non-profit organizations
  • Finding appropriate grant sources and writing grant applications
  • Administration of awarded grants

Minimum Housing Code

For over twenty years, the office of Community and Economic Development has provided Minimum Housing Code Services for its member governments. These services include:

  • Writing and developing your local ordinances
  • Enforcing ordinances through:
    • Inspection of residential and commercial structures
    • Issuing notices to the owners of substandard properties
    • Follow-up with violators to check for compliance
    • Facilitation of condemnation hearings
    • Inspection for Environmental Regulatory compliance
    • Demolition co-ordination
  • Other services, including zoning ordinance enforcement and nuisance ordinance enforcement

Contact us to find out more about these services.

Drug And Alcohol Testing Program

The office of Community and Economic Development has provided technical assistance to its member governments to ensure compliance with the USDOT Drug and Alcohol Testing regulations since 1995. Many of the employees of your local government are likely required to hold Commercial Driver's Licenses, such as garbage truck drivers or bus drivers. We administer testing in the following areas:

  • Pre-employment screening
  • Post-accident investigation
  • Situations involving reasonable suspicion on the part of an employer or supervisor that an employee might be abusing alcohol or drugs
  • Random employee screenings
  • Return-to-duty screenings
  • Follow-up screenings

Other services include:

  • Policy review and updating
  • Record keeping
  • Reporting

Contact us to find out more about these services.